Ice Hockey continues its early struggle

The Rams Ice Hockey team fell to 0-7 this season after back-to-back losses against Salem State and Franklin Pierce University. 

Framingham traveled to take on the Salem State Vikings for a conference matchup Nov. 23. 

There wasn’t much action until 16 minutes into the first period, when Salem’s Matt Yianacopolus scored with a slap shot and put the Vikings up by one. 

Salem scored again about halfway through the second period, securing a 2-0 lead heading into the third. 

The Rams had multiple shots on goal throughout the second, but impressive saves by Salem’s Sean Cleary kept them off the board. 

About two minutes into the third, the Vikings were awarded a power play on which they capitalized and put an additional goal up, leaving the Rams to trail by three. 

Heading into the 6th minute, junior Soren Colstrup finally found the net, securing the Rams’ only goal for the game, avoiding a shutout. 

Colstrup said, “Jack Pierson gave me a really nice pass to score our only goal in the third period. I think it changed the pace of the game when we scored, but we just ran out of time for a comeback.”

Salem made one more goal in the third to end the game with a 4-1 victory over the Rams. Though the Rams lost by three, both teams were tied with 30 shots on net for the match. 

This loss brings the Rams to 0-5 in the MASCAC this season. 

Framingham hosted the Franklin Pierce Ravens for a nonconference game Nov. 26. 

The first period appeared to be evenly matched for both teams, with neither being able to score nor outplay the other. 

Just 20 seconds into the following period, the Ravens scored their first goal of the game when Alex Lester snatched the puck after a Rams turnover. 

FPU scored an additional goal halfway through the second to put them up 2-0. 

The Rams found their momentum and responded a short 40 seconds later when junior Matt Siegel sent the puck right between the legs of Garret Stenberg. 

About seven minutes later, the Ravens were awarded a power play, during which Ryan Gorbett snuck one in right before the end of the second. This left the Rams trailing 3-1. 

The remainder of the game was stagnant, with FPU’s final goal coming in at the end of the third period as a result of the Rams pulling goalie Greg Harney in the last few minutes. 

Colstrup said, “Everyone on the team is upset about the record right now, but we’re keeping things positive as we move toward break over finals week.”

The Rams travel to Stonehill College for some nonconference action Dec. 7. 

[Editor’s Note: Soren Colstrup is a staff writer for The Gatepost.]

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.