Men’s Soccer remains at the top of the MASCAC

The Framingham State Rams men’s soccer team is now 8-7-1 on the season after a victory over the MASCAC rival Bridgewater State Bears and a loss against a strong UMass Boston Beacons team.

On Oct. 18, the Rams took on the Bears in Bridgewater.

The Bears hopped out to an early 1-0 lead after a sweet goal from 18 yards out by David Nelson that caught the inside of the left goal post.

After numerous good shot attempts by both sides, Framingham converted the last shot attempt of the first half on a goal by Josh Ofosu. His goal did not bode well with the Bears because he knocked the ball out of the goalie’s possession when he was fielding it and scored easily.

The Rams came out of the gate swinging in the second half, outshooting the Bears 13-8.

Bryce Nardizzi was able to give the Rams a 2-1 lead in the 73rd minute on a great shot from 22 yards out that curled inside the left post, giving him his seventh goal of the season. This goal put Nardizzi in a three-way tie with Gustavo Cassemiro and Isaac De Souza for the team lead.

In the 78th minute, the Bears had a prime opportunity to score on a penalty kick. Kevin Roberts took the shot, but was denied on an incredible diving save by Corey Davidge.

The Rams outshot the Bears 24-15 throughout the game, and 11-3 in shots on goal.

With the win against the Bears, the Rams kept their undefeated MASCAC streak going, while the Bears dropped to 2-3 in the conference.

On Oct. 22, the Rams took on the Beacons in Boston under very poor conditions due to rain.

The non-conference foe entered the game having not suffered a loss since Sept. 28 and were 10-2-2.

The Beacons got on the board early in the 12th minute on a goal by Nick Fontana. His goal was scored on a great cross by Yasser El Hasnaoui and gave them a 1-0 lead.

The rest of the first half was scoreless, with neither team being able to put together any meaningful scoring chances with the soaked turf playing a big role.

In the 63rd minute, the Rams were able to rattle off two quick shots on goal, but Omar Castro-Dreher would not let anything get by him.

In the 64th and 69th minutes, Nilton De Andrade was able to score two goals on Rams goalie James Hartshorn and gave the Beacons all they needed to win the contest 3-0.

The Rams were outshot 20-6 and 10-3 on shots on goal for the contest.

It was not a pretty one for the Rams, but given the conditions – and a matchup with a very good non-conference opponent – they were able to stay close for the majority of the game.

The Rams travel to Salem State Oct. 26 for a huge matchup with the also undefeated Vikings, who are tied with them at the top of the MASCAC.