Men’s Basketball’s loses despite late comeback attempt

Ashley Wall / THE GATEPOST

On Saturday, Feb. 9, Framingham traveled to Bridgewater State to take on the Bears in a MASCAC game.

The first half consisted of four ties and seven lead changes. 

A pair of free throws by Tyri Hampton tied the score at 31-31 with 4:25 remaining in the half.  

The Bears then went on a 10-2 run over the next three minutes, capped off by an Admar Jaramillo steal and breakaway layup to give the hosts a 41-33 lead. 

Jaramillo and Jose Monteiro Jr. tallied four points apiece during the strong run.

Neither team scored again until a last-second shot by Khaneil Bruce ended the run and cut the deficit to 41-35 at halftime.

Rayshon Ward led all players in the first half with 11 points, while Bruce led the Rams with 10. 

The Bears shot 47 percent in the opening half, including 4-for-9 from behind the arc. 

The Rams connected on 39.5 percent of their field goal attempts over the first half and went 2-for-8 from 3-point territory.

Consecutive layups by Cameren McCloud-Thomas and Manny Payton to open the second half made it a two-point game, but the Bears quickly answered with a Ryan Carney free throw and a Jaramillo 3-pointer while in transition, pushing their lead to 45-39. 

Following a Hampton three-point shot with 3:46 left to play, the Bears pushed their lead to as many as 13 in the period before the Rams battled back to make it a four-point game, 70-66. 

Framingham had a chance to pull closer, but could not convert on their next possession. 

A pair of layups by Monteiro Jr. and Nick Crocker extended the Bears’ lead back up to eight points, 74-66, with 2:14 showing on the scoreboard.

The Rams took full advantage, reeling off eight straight points as the Bears turned the ball over on three straight possessions. 

A Hampton put-back layup finished off the 8-0 run and tied the game at 74-74 with 43.7 seconds left to play. 

Carney stopped the bleeding with a driving layup with 27.1 seconds remaining to put the Bears back on top at 76-74. 

McCloud-Thomas, however, sent the game into overtime, as his jumper from the top of the key found the bottom of the net with 6.4 seconds showing on the scoreboard.

The Bears tallied the first six points of the overtime session and held the Rams to just four points in the period. 

Framingham closed the gap to within four points, 84-80, following a Jared Gordon-Anderson layup with 1:04 remaining. 

The Rams, however, were not able to come back this time, as they were done scoring for the rest of the night. 

Crocker went 1-of-2 from the free-throw line with 30 seconds left to play. Carney knocked down a pair of foul shots with 14 seconds showing to close out the game. 

Four different Bears scored in overtime, led by four points from Carney.

Despite the late second-half comeback, the Rams came up just short, losing the game by a score of 87-80.

The Rams spread out their scoring as five different players scored double digits including Bruce, Hampton, McCloud-Thomas, Payton, and Gordon-Anderson

Bruce and McCloud-Thomas both had double-doubles, grabbing 11 rebounds apiece. 

With the loss, Framingham State drops to 4-7 in the MASCAC conference and 5-18 overall on the season. 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.