Rams open conference with 1-0 shutout

[Amanda Martin]

The Rams opened up conference play with a home match against Fitchburg State on Sept. 17.

Framingham State struck first, scoring the game’s first goal towards the end of the first half.

In the 33rd minute of play, Simon Appiah sent a cross from the corner into the box. Framingham’s Kelvin Okyere was there to receive the pass and head the ball into the corner of the net.

Okyere’s first goal of the season put the Rams up 1-0.

After the half, the Rams again had another scoring chance after a foul from about 30 yards out. Ken Stahovish took the free kick for Framingham, but blasted the ball off the post ending the scoring chance.

With 20 minutes left in the match, it was again the Rams with another scoring chance. It was Stahovish again with the opportunity. He received a pass and was all by himself behind the defense but he ripped a shot over the net, keeping the Rams lead at 1-0.

In the 85th minute, it was Fitchburg with a chance to tie the game. The Falcons sent a cross into the box and Nicholas Masley was able to put his head on it, but the ball sailed just wide of the net, sealing up a 1-0 victory for the Rams.

In the win, Josh Arno made five saves on the way to his third shutout on the season.

Framingham outshot the Falcons 16-14, with Stahovish leading the way with five shots for the Rams. 

The win moves the Rams to 3-3 on the season and 1-0 in the MASCAC.

The Rams hosted Rhode Island College on Sept. 21 in a non-conference match.

Rhode Island came out firing from the start, breaking open the scoring in the 12th minute of action. Komla Dogbey headed the ball into the goal off a free kick, making it 1-0.

The Anchormen added another goal 13 minutes later to make it 2-0. This goal came from Elimane Seye in the 25th minute.

Just 90 seconds later, in the 26th minute, the Anchormen struck again. Cooper Ferreira received a pass off of a free kick and headed it into the back of the net to make it 3-0.

Rhode Island would add one more before halftime in the 44th minute when Dan Monteiro struck a free kick from 20 yards out to make it 4-0.

In the 56th minute, the Anchormen would score another goal, this time it was Dogbey with his second goal of the game to put Rhode Island up 5-0.

Framingham finally got on the score sheet in the 78th minute of the game. Daniel Campos collected a pass from Appiah and ripped a shot past the goalkeeper for the goal.

The goal cut the Rams deficit to four but it was too little too late, as Rhode Island defeated the Rams 5-1.

Corey Davidge started in net for the Rams and made four saves. He was relieved by Arno in the second half, who also had four saves.

The loss drops the Rams to 3-4 on the season.