Arno’s two shutouts have men’s soccer at 2-3

Framingham State opened up its season on Sept.1. The Rams took on UMass Dartmouth in a nonconference home match.

The Corsairs opened up the scoring in the 23rd minute of action. John Correia was set up off of a UMass-Dartmouth corner kick. Correia blasted a volley into the goal, giving them a lead 1-0.

In the 40th minute of the match, it was the Corsairs again, adding to the lead and making it 2-0. Austin Diaz found the back of the net, after he gathered a rebound and fired it on net beating Rams goalkeeper Josh Arno.

Framingham got one back just after halftime. Razak Boateng cut the deficit to one in the 47th minute of play. His first goal of the season put the Rams right back into the game.

Quickly after, in the 52nd minute, the Corsairs added an insurance goal to the lead, making it two. This time it was Matt Vidal who put a shot past Arno making it 3-1.

The Rams responded just seven minutes later again to bring the deficit back to one. Bryan Reis fired a shot and sent it into the net to make it 3-2.

Framingham’s comeback fell just short as they dropped their season opener 3-2 to UMass-Dartmouth.

In the loss, Framingham was outshot 16-8 by the Corsairs. However, the Rams were only able to put two of their eight shots on goal, both resulting in goals.

Arno made two saves for the Rams, while they fell to 0-1 to start the season.

The Rams traveled to Eastern Nazarene on Sept. 3 to take on the Lions in a nonconference match.

Both teams got off to a very slow start, not capitalizing on any scoring chances.

Framingham opened up the scoring in the 40th minute of the game. Jeffrey Braverman was the goal scorer for the Rams to put them up 1-0.

Braverman received a pass off of a free kick and headed the ball into the back of the net to score what turned out to be the game winning goal.

Framingham never looked back from this point and went on to get a 1-0 victory over the Lions.

The Rams dominated the shot battle, outshooting Eastern Nazarene 17-9.

Arno made three saves in the win earning his first shutout of the season. Eastern Nazarene’s keeper Jameson MacFarland made five saves for the Lions.

With the win, the Rams move to 1-1 on the year.

Framingham hosted WPI in a nonconference match on Sept.7. 

After a scoreless first half, the Rams got on the scoreboard first. Ken Stahovish ripped a shot from the box and into the back of the net putting the Rams up 1-0 in the 63rd minute

The goal marked the first of the season for Stahovish.

Just seven minutes later, the Engineers knotted things up at 1-1. Anthony Vigliotta blasted a shot into the net in the 70th minute to even the match.

The two teams went the remainder of the 90 minutes without any more goals, sending the game to overtime.

After the first overtime period, things were still tied up at 1-1, sending the game to a double overtime period.

In the 105th minute of play, the Engineers were awarded a corner kick. WPI sent a cross in to the box, Matt Farrell corralled the pass, and fired a shot into the back of the goal for the game winner.

Framingham was outshot in the loss, 14-12, while goalkeeper Corey Davidge made 7 saves in his first start of the season.

The double overtime loss drops the Rams to 1-2 on the season.

The Rams took on the MIT Engineers in a nonconference home match on Sept.10.

After going much of the first half scoreless, the Engineers struck first just before halftime.

Gregory Hui got onto the score sheet in the 42nd minute of action. Hui fired a shot off of a Framingham defender that deflected into the back of the net, giving MIT a 1-0 lead.

The Engineers would never give up this lead, as both teams were held scoreless for the rest of regulation.

The Rams were dominated in the shot battle, getting outshot 25-6 and only putting two shots on goal the whole game.

MIT also had the advantage in corner kicks

Arno shined in the loss, making 11 saves on the 12 shots he faced.

The Rams were shut out for the first time on the season.

Stahovish led the Rams in shots with three.

The loss drops the Rams to 1-3 to start the season.

The Rams traveled to Curry College on Sept.13, to take on the Colonels in a nonconference match.

Framingham came out of the gates quickly, scoring a goal in the 9th minute of play.

Simon Appiah received a feed from a teammate and blasted a one timer from about 20 yards out. The shot ripped past the opposing keeper giving the Rams a 1-0 advantage.

The one timer marked Appiah’s first goal of the season.

Neither team was able to capitalize on any scoring chances for the remaining 80 minutes of action.

The Rams were able to hold on for a narrow 1-0 victory over Curry.

The match was very evenly played. Both teams had a total of 16 shots, and both teams were only able to muster up six shots on net.

Arno earned his second shutout on the season making six saves in the game.

Appiah led the way in shots for the Rams, firing the ball eight times.

Curry goalkeeper Dan Johnson made five saves, while Hunter Duval led the team in shots with four.

The win over Curry put the Rams to 2-3 on the season.