Men’s soccer goes to MASCAC Championship, falls to Bridgewater State

The Rams took on Worcester State in the MASCAC semifinals on Nov. 6.

The Lancers came out hot in the first 10 minutes, but thanks to three diving saves by Rams goalkeeper Josh Arno, the score remained 0-0.

The game remained very even from this point on. Both teams had a couple of scoring chances, all of which were unable to be converted. The teams went into halftime tied 0-0, which remained the case for most of the second half.

In the 77th minute, the Rams were awarded a penalty kick after a Lancers defender was called for a handball in the box. The Rams decided on leading scorer Cory Cardeiro to take the penalty. Cardeiro stepped up and fired his shot just inside the left post to put Framingham State up 1-0.

Framingham would never look back from this point on, holding onto the lead and winning the match 1-0.

The Rams were led by Cardeiro and Arno. Cardeiro finished with nine shots and scored the game winning goal, while Arno made nine saves en route to a shutout.

With the win, the Rams move to 7-12 on the year and advance to the MASCAC final.


Framingham State hosted Bridgewater State in the MASCAC final on Nov. 8.

The second seeded Rams and the fifth seeded Bears battled to earn a spot in the Division III men’s soccer championship as the MASCAC’s automatic qualifier.

The Rams got on the scoreboard extremely early, scoring the game’s first goal just 38 seconds into it. Simon Appiah received a lead pass from Ken Stahovish. Appiah corralled the ball and ripped a shot on net. The shot beat goalkeeper Colin Jepson and put the Rams up 1-0 early.

In the 19th minute, the Bears tied things up at one. Andrew Chenard received a pass from Conor Murtagh and sent a shot past Arno.

Just six minutes later, the Bears struck again. This time it was Murtagh who placed a header into the net putting the Bears up 2-1.

The Bears weren’t done yet. Fifteen minutes after the second goal, Bridgewater State put a third unanswered goal on the scoreboard. It was Murtagh again, sending another header past Arno, making it 3-1.

The Rams started their comeback just 15 minutes after halftime. Stahovish received a pass from Cardeiro, and sent a long strike on net. The ball struck the cross bar and redirected down into the net. The goal made it 3-2, with over 30 minutes left to play.

The Rams had a few more scoring chances but were unable to convert on any, ending their comeback just short.

Arno made three saves in the game, while Cardeiro and Appiah led the team in shots with four each.

With the loss, the Rams’ season was ended. They dropped to 7-13 on the season and fell just short of making the Division III men’s soccer championship.