Some FSU students admit to using Molly

Some FSU students interviewed by The Gatepost said they have used Molly or been in an environment where others were using it.

Three of the students who admitted to using Molly did so at a Barstool Sports-sponsored event.

Recently, Barstool Sports conducted an advertising campaign on Framingham State’s campus for a “foam party” which was held at the Worcester DCU Center [see related article].

Molly (MDMA) is a drug classified as a stimulant and is considered a “club drug,” a substance that is used by young people at clubs or raves.

In the Boston area, multiple Molly overdoses have been reported in recent months.

On Aug. 27, the House of Blues hosted a performance by DJ Zedd, at which three people overdosed on Molly, including the fatal overdose of 19-year-old Brittany Flannigan of Derry, NH. Three days later, there were three more overdoses at a concert held at Bank of America Pavilion (two caused by Molly, and one caused by LSD).

One student, who asked to remain anonymous, said Molly is readily available. “I have tried it three different times and haven’t felt it [the effects] yet.”

Another student, who also requested anonymity, enjoyed taking Molly, saying, “It was sick.”

Another student said, “It’s hard to overdose on Molly. It’s basically impossible unless you don’t know anything about it.”

In regards to the negative side effects of Molly, he added, “The next day, you feel super shitty because all the good chemicals [in your brain] are used up. You’re back to normal by the middle of the next day. You just feel really tired, unmotivated and edgy.”

One female student who admitted to using Molly described her experience. “I did it [Molly] at a Barstool event in Boston. It’s almost indescribable, to be honest. You feel very into your body and your touch sense is amplified. You feel like you can do anything. I think I could have ran a marathon.”

This student said she was not concerned about safety. “The people I was with knew what they were doing, got it from a trustworthy person, and made sure we didn’t take too much.”

She added, “They were looking out for me and my friends.”

Another female student who was interviewed by The Gatepost also admitted to using Molly. “Being on Molly made me feel good. It was everything that everyone told me it would be. No scary side effects occurred, and being on Molly didn’t make me hallucinate or anything. It made me feel really happy overall.”

This student was also with a group of friends she trusted and said they knew what they were doing and they had no issues throughout the night.

She added, “I did Molly at Identity Fest, which is an Electronic Dance Music (EDM) concert where everyone goes and ‘rolls’ and smokes weed and drinks.

“I wouldn’t do it again. I think it’s more dangerous now,” she said. “I don’t think any drug is considered safe  – every drug affects everyone differently. The only time I’ve witnessed people doing Molly was at Identity Fest.”

A male student who was interviewed by The Gatepost said, “The experience [on Molly] varied from happy energetic waves and such. Solid Molly rocks, called moon rocks, caused hallucinations and crazy body highs. The next day always sucks, though.”

He added, “I’ve never done Molly at school, but someone traded me a gram of Molly for Adderall, and I did it at an off campus party and shared it with people.”

One student who was interviewed by The Gatepost, who attended the Barstool Foam party on Sept. 27, admitted to using Molly there.

However, another student who attended this Barstool Foam party said she did not see anyone who appeared to be using Molly.  Referring to the overdoses that occurred at the House of Blues in August, she said, “I think people dying made people wake up. There were just a lot of drunk people.” This student said she did use Molly at a previous Barstool Sports-sponsored event, though.

A male student who asked to remain anonymous said, “Death from Molly is usually from over-drinking water, heart failure or allergic reactions to cutting agents.” He believes that using Molly isn’t “a big deal.”

A female student who also requested anonymity said, “I’ve done Molly. I don’t think it is as dangerous as people think.”

According to Judy Grob-Whiting, a licensed independent clinical social worker and program coordinator for the Health and Wellness Center, Molly (3,4-methylenedioxy-N-methylamphetamine or MDMA), is a drug that has been around for almost a century.

“It [Molly] was patented by Merck pharmaceuticals in 1914, but didn’t make much news until the 1970s. It gained notoriety in the late 1980s and the early 90s when it was the preferred drug at raves,” said Grob-Whiting.

She added, “Many powders sold as Molly today contain no MDMA whatsoever, and use synthetic concoctions designed to mimic the drug’s effects.” She said recent fatal overdoses have been linked to poor manufacturing. “As its popularity has grown, it is now thought to be as contaminated as Ecstasy once was.”

According to the Drug Policy Alliance website, “Many drugs sold as ‘ecstasy’ or ‘Molly’ are not MDMA.” Other synthetics and drugs are often mixed in, making the drug much more dangerous.

Grob-Whiting said the negative side effects of using Molly are serious and include “dehydration, hyperthermia, uncontrollable seizures, high blood pressure, teeth grinding, anxiety, insomnia, fever, loss of appetite and depression in the days after use.” She added that Molly has caused deaths, and there has been a doubling of emergency room visits related to this drug since 2004.

According to Grob-Whiting, the reason the drug is so appealing is because it stimulates the brain and body. “The drug creates feelings of euphoria and closeness to people. You know, it makes you feel one with everyone and you love everyone.”

According to the Drug Policy Alliance website, “People using Molly will experience heightened sensations and want to intensify these feelings by dancing, talking and touching.”

The site also indicates that hyperthermic reaction is a common side effect from taking this drug and that users often take breaks to drink water or Gatorade in order to replenish their fluids. This is due to the physical exertion caused by dancing at clubs.

Grob-Whiting said there have been no known reports of students using or abusing Molly who required treatment. While Molly is not physically addictive, it can be psychologically addictive.

Grob-Whiting advised that anyone who believes he or she is experiencing or witnessing an overdose caused by Molly should go to an emergency room immediately.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*